Indian Law/Tribal Governance
// General Business
// Loan Servicing
Brien Law, LLC is committed to maintaining and strengthening tribal sovereignty, especially through the promotion of tribal economic development and best practices in tribal governance.
Russ has worked with tribal councils and administrators throughout his career. He is an adjunct lecturer in tribal economic development and tribal gaming at the University of Kansas School of Law. Russ also serves on the Economic Development Advisory Committee for the Ft. Mojave Indian Tribe. Russ was the first Circuit Court Judge for his tribe, the Iowa Tribe of Kansas and Nebraska.
- Serves as outside general counsel for gaming operations of two federally-recognized tribes.
- Assisting with development of a tribally-owned golf course.
- Represents a tribal gaming commission in employment litigation.
- Advises the tribal council of a large gaming tribe regarding tribal governance and corporate governance issues relating to significant tribal business enterprises.
- Tribal court litigation involving retroactive application of constitutional membership criteria.
- Successfully represented a gaming tribe in connection with enforcement of a non-competition agreement with one of the world’s largest gaming companies.
- Advised a national telephone company in connection with a tribal franchise ordinance and related right-of-way issues.
- Served as special counsel to the seller in a transaction involving sale of a bank to a tribally-chartered bank holding company.
- Advised clients on SBA Section 8a compliance issues.